Thursday, March 19, 2015

Week 4 - Individual

It has finally come to my last painting!! And as some of you may have heard from my vlog in last week's post, I explained that I had changed my mind about what I would be doing for my last painting, that I was going to paint an image that already exists (and not make one up because I have no experience).  On his website, Simon Brushfield has listed six suggestions for creating original art.  

In short, Brushfield essentially says:
  1. Be passionate and work to refine your creative skill.
  2. Understand that you need to be patient, determined, and persistent to finish difficult creative projects.
  3. Develop an ability to express compassion in your art.
  4. Use contrasts for a dramatic and visual effect. 
  5. Be able to express atmosphere, whether it's romance or a "unique untouchable mystery."
  6. Express human emotion and imagination, but not so wildly that your art becomes irrational.
And just as a final suggestion, Brushfield writes that artists must live a life full of different experiences and interesting projects, which will contribute to an original painting's richness and character. 

Even if any of you do not know me personally, do you really think that I, a high school girl, has experienced anything worth painting about so far in my life? Well, I haven't, and I do not have enough experience with painting either, Say for example, I want to paint an apple and make it up in my mind.  I would have to look off of either a real apple sitting in front of me or an image of an apple, in order to paint the apple, because I wouldn't know how to make the apple look naturally realistic, which is why I changed my mind about creating my own painting from my own mind. 

However, I was dabbling in doodling one day (and having oodles of fun not worrying about my TED talk) and I changed my mind again, kind of… 

Instead of painting a scene from a single image, Stephanie suggested that I create an image by splicing together several pictures.  This way, I would not have to worry about my lack of experience with painting, and I could still reach my original goal of creating my own art (sort of). 

So I doodled some more and brainstormed to sketch out what I wanted to paint:





Many of you are probably scrolling down my blog, expecting an image of my last oil painting to show up, well it's not going to pop up any time soon (sorry!).  I have finished the painting, but I'm going to wait until my TED talk to reveal it.  For now, I need to finish memorizing my TED Talk script… while I'm happy with the way my paintings have turned out, I am not having any positive thoughts about my TED Talk.  To be honest, I think I'm screwed... Wish me luck.

---

For my friend, who I call: 

I hope you'll enjoy these really yummy (and cute) mini Monkey Muffins!

---

Commented on:
--

5 comments:

  1. Allison! Your talent is actually insane. Like, I look back on my videos and I'll say something like, "Hey that one was pretty good, (I had pretty low standards) it's almost not mediocre!" But then I look at your blog and oh my gosh everything is so good. Whether it's your paintings or your sketches, EVERYTHING is so good. I totally understand your decision to sort of change your final product-- I am so bad at imagining things and drawing them down, I feel like I'd either keep forgetting the original image I had in my mind or I'd change it half way through and by the time I finished it'd be more like 20 different images instead of one complete one. I can't wait to see your final product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scrolling through your blog right now I'm actually dying. You're so talented! I saw the Star Wars picture in McDaniels' room and thought, "oh, that's cool," and now seeing that you did that??????? Wow okay so basically I'm pretty blown away right now. I'm really excited to see what you're going to do for your final drawing, so make sure to post it! As much as I wish I could cut a morning class (preferably math) to come see it, I don't think that's gonna happen. It's cool to see your critical process and how you think through what you're gonna do. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT THE Alison your "sketches" are literal masterpieces in and of themselves. The fact that you refer to them as doodles makes me all the more excited for you to present your final product. It's amazing how much you've accomplished throughout this process and I can't wait for you to share your thoughts! (and possibly the secret to your artistic talent) Wishing you the best of luck with your Ted Talk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that idea of putting together several images to make a semi-original piece. I think that's something I do a lot, and it's cool because you can still make it realistic, but play around with composition and maybe even colors. It's cool that you researched even into how to be an original artist. Right now is a time when the definition and critique of art is extremely open, so it's kind of nice to see something very concrete about an abstract idea like this. (Since I'm writing this kind of late, I already saw your painting, and it's awesome!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your ted talk! It was very engaging and I loved when you said "holy bagles". Leaving your flashdrive at home must have made it really nerve wrecking right before the presentation (I would know because my flashdrive broke before mine). But either way, your presentation came out great and I was listening to it fully throughout! I love the last painting on the bottom and I wish I could see more!!!

    ReplyDelete